Saturday, December 18, 2010

Loving it up

Tonight, I spent a good amount of time making various love products. Love bath salts, true love powder, love incense. I feel all kinds of loved up.

As I sat there making these products, each very different from each other in ingredients, I noticed some things. In my experience of love products they tend to three (3) certain types of scents. Those scents are sweet, floral, and musky. All three can be present in one product, but it is interesting to separate out the three into different products.

In this case, the Love bouquet bath was floral. As the strongest scents within it are lavender and rose, it makes sense. It was kind of refreshing because of that, and uplifting, like the feeling of new love, sweeping into your heart. The sparkle of infatuation and affection, or the sparkly new “I feel pretty and also a little twitter-pated” as well.

With a different scent was the True love powder. This just smelled sweet, a little green, but there was this vague, indescribable candy like smell. I don’t really know where it came from (as I didn’t really add any essential oils) and none of the herbs really seemed to smell like that either as I was measuring them out. Something about the process of grinding it up and mixing it together seemed to release this scent that wasn’t there before. That, or the Powers of Love were gracing me with their presence, which I don’t mind at all.

The final product, my Love incense, is a mixture of deep, heavy, musky smells. Patchouli figures strongly in this mixture, as does myrrh. My intent was something that is bit more sexy and seductive, and in a sense a bit more masculine, as floral scents are seen as being feminine, darker and muskier scents are seen as being more masculine. Suffice to say, I love this incense. It’s deep, it’s rich, and given time, I think it will develop some great complexity of scent. But I think it needs a lot of time to do that. I am going to give it a test run tomorrow though, just to see how it smells at the beginning. I have actually been sitting on the compounding of this incense for a while, as I made an oil from this recipe long ago, so I am curious to see how it comes out when I burn it. The oil I love as well, and as it is primarily rich, luxurious fixatives, it is really long lasting, and can be a little strong for some people. As it’s all botanical essential oils, I am impressed that it can last all day, while some of my other mixtures seem very fugitive in comparison.

Love, Love, Love, is really all I need right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment