Wednesday, March 24, 2010

March 24, 2010 - Peorth


Peorth

Peorth is the letter P

Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem (from ragweedforge.com)

Peorth is a source of recreation and amusement to the great,
(the meter of the poem indicates a missing section here), where warriors sit
drinking blithely together in the banqueting-hall

Peorth is one of those runes whose translation is unclear. Only from the poem itself can there be a guess as to it’s meaning.

For me, my hypothesis is that it describes the afterlife. Peorth is to me a rune of the Dead. It is also a rune of Luck and Chance, for no one really knows their destination after death, and we could just as well end up a place we don’t want to be, as well as the place we hope for.

Today especially feels more connected to luck and fortune then anything else to me. Wednesday is generally the day I engage in magic for general good luck. But Peorth is one of those runes that rarely appears for me, so when it does, it tells me that things are loose and light, and it’s up to me to make the best of them. Maybe the bones will fall in my favor, either as benevolent reading, or as lucky 7 or 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment